Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sherbet Pips Quilt Completed

I started this quilt quite a long time ago.  I want to say it was in the fall last year even though I bought the fabric for it just after the fabric was released.  I managed to get 2 rows of the blocks done before I put it all away, but I was determined that it was going to be my first big project to complete when I got my sewing area all set up. 

Here is the full view.  It's actually a pretty big quilt.  Before I washed it up it was about 68" x 90".  I am sure it shrunk up a bit, but it's still a good size!


I had just a fun time making this one.  The top actually went together pretty quickly, it was the quilting that was very time consuming.  I decided the best way to quilt it would be a free motion, meandering design.  I ended spending about 7 hours over the course of 3 days quilting it on my Janome.  My hands were killing me and I have to say that I am very thankful for the cheap gardening gloves I found.  They have little rubber nubs on the fingers and they are perfect for machine quilting!  Actually, I think my sister gave them to me a couple years ago at my niece's garden themed birthday party. 


 Anywho...I love how it turned out and I am now no longer afraid of free motion so I am going to start practicing some different quilting designs to use on future projects.  This is the first one I am stoked to try out.  I just love the final look of the petals. I am sure I will have to use it on a small project before I have the nerve to test it out on something big.



I got pretty lucky that my backing fabric ended up matching the top perfectly.  I wanted a backing that I didn't have to piece so I looked at the wide backing fabric on Fabric.com and I ended up loving this one.  It's a swirly paisley print that also has houndstooth.  The pinks match perfectly so I was a happy quilter.  



I am a sucker for a pin dot binding and this pink is the perfect match as well as being just the right thing to offset how much of the Kona Ash that I used.  I love the pop of brighter pink around the edges.  I think it was just the perfect touch to finish it all up.  I did a wider binding than I usually do and I ended up really liking it more than the thinner so this may be my go-to binding size from now on.

Now that this project is completed I am working on a swap!  I haven't done a swap in a couple years now and I am excited to be taking part in this one.  It's a secret partner swap and it's for Halloween.  I will post more about that soon...

xoxo, Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...